We are going to take a brief look at a core part of NetSuite today. SuiteBuilder is a customisation tool used for creating components for any individual business process to be implemented in NetSuite. It helps set up NetSuite to control and make user interaction a smooth experience.
SuiteBuilder provides a GUI (graphical user interface) based options to create or edit different record types, transaction types, forms, form layouts, fields, custom segments and centres.
Three types of users primarily use the SuiteBuilder.
1. Administrators. Admins use the SuiteBuilder to create different transaction types or custom record types, customise forms or to create custom centres for another kind of roles based on the specific business requirement of their respective organisation.
2. IT Department. IT Department employees handle change requests like creating create custom fields, managing data in the system or scheduling batch processing jobs in the system.
3. Developers. Developers primarily work on SuiteScript or Suitetalk. Therefore, they need a good grip on SuiteBuilder components to implement their solutions inside NetSuite.
Customising NetSuite components
This part deals with the user data access within NetSuite.
- Role: Different set of permissions assigned to a NetSuite User. To create a custom role, navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > User Management > Manage Roles > New and set up the new Role. For example, a food processing company may need to add a new role for a processing engineer with a custom set of permissions.
- Centre: Part of SuiteBuilder created for a specific group of roles with similar tasks. To create a custom centre, navigate to Customisation> Centres and Tabs > Centres > New and set up the new custom Centre based on your requirements. For example, in a food processing company, all the roles, i.e. Processing Staff, Floor Supervisor, Machine Mechanic which come under the food processing unit can be added to the Food Processing centre.
- Centre tab: This component of SuiteBuilder groups related links and other information for a centre. Standard tabs include Home, Reports, Documents, Activities, and Setup. It includes categories of links to NetSuite pages, custom records, Suitelets, or external web pages. You can also create custom Centre Tabs by navigating to Customisation> Centres and Tabs > Centre Tabs > New.
Set up data
To implement NetSuite efficiently, use the following components to add your data.
- Record: A single entry of information related to a unique business concept. Example: Customer or Vendor record.
- Segment: A single entry of information associated with a single business concept. Example: A custom segment created for contract types.
- Transaction: A single entry of information related to a unique business concept. Example: Invoice or Vendor Bill.
- List: List of values that can be selected in a custom field. Example: List of cities in a state.
- Template: A single entry of information related to a single business concept. Example: Advanced PDF Template configured for Purchase Order.
Collect and Display Data
Forms are used in NetSuite to provide an interface for the user to enter and see data. We can use the following components to create custom forms or customise existing forms.
- Field: Place on a record or transaction where information is entered.
- Subtab: Section of a record or transaction that groups similar fields.
- Example: In the address subtab, the shipping and billing addresses are entered on transactions and records.
- Sublist: The results of a saved search displayed on a custom or standard record. Sublists can also be generated through parent-child relationships.
If you would like help or advice for using the SuiteBuilder functionality in NetSuite, feel free to reach out to speak with one of our experts.
Need a specialist’s free advice?
Feel free to call an expert in NetSuite today.
Find out how cloud-based technology can support your business growth.
Read Michael’s articles in his LinkedIn profile and follow him for more tips and tricks on leveraging the power of Netsuite.
Need a NetSuite Health Check?
We are experts in helping existing NetSuite users to review their platform, identify risks and improvements, and assist with enhancements.
Are you having difficulties with your NetSuite implementation? Our team of local experts can evaluate your current development and configuration, advise you on remediations and provide solutions for ongoing improvements.